BULK SMS

09 August, 2015

I speak for women going through domestic violence

America-based On-Air-Personality (OAP), actress, script-writer, compere, red carpet and talk show host, Olufunke Mercy Tanimola aka Mercy Flawless, is indeed an affable personality. She is one of the Nigerian ladies flying the country’s flag proudly in Texas, Dallas where she lives. And she does this by promoting up-and-coming Nigerian artistes in the United States. “I get thrilled by giving up-and-coming acts the opportunity to be heard. First and foremost, my radio programme is mostly for Nigerians in the Diaspora. I make my listeners feel at home by bringing them trending stories from home, and I generally promote Nigerian-based artistes on the show via phone interviews. I also participate in Nigerian events in the states and I share the moments on my social media pages,” she said. This diva, who sees herself as a voice for every woman going through domestic violence, was  born in Lagos State. She first studied Mass Communication at the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta, Ogun State, before she studied Theatre Arts at the University of Benin. She later left for Dallas County Community College where she is studying Associate in Art. She said she passionately hates domestic violence. Hence, she can’t stand it. “I have zero tolerance for domestic violence, so I made it my duty to make myself a voice for every woman going through domestic violence. I also encourage the broken-hearted to stay strong,” she revealed. Mercy Flawless doesn't think women should be under the men folk just because of their sex. She believes they are capable. “I believe in what a man can do, a woman can do even better. Good enough, men in the western world have realised this. They know the importance of women, little wonder they treat us right. Over here in the states, a man wouldn’t mind being in the kitchen with his wife and helping to prepare meals. Most men do laundering for their women without attaching any importance to it. But back home in Nigeria, people would say such men are under serious spell or under the influence of voodoo or charm. Some might even say such a man is under a curse. Everything here in the states is totally different from how people think back home,” she explained. To some Nigerian women who are being battered by their husbands, Mercy Flawless has some words. “If he hits you once, he would do that again. So, don't wait for the second mistake to happen before you run as fast as your legs can carry you. It is better to be a living and happy spinster than a battered corpse. Women should learn to see the red flag fast in relationships,” she counselled. Mercy Flawless has never regretted being a woman. “I have never regretted being a woman. Women are the most interesting and beautiful creatures on earth. It feels good to be a woman, especially now that we have lots of women at the helm of affairs, making important decisions in the world,” she said. What books does she read? “I love to read inspirational books because aside from getting inspired by my late mum’s prayers and words of advice, I’m also inspired by romance novels that I read. I also love to read the Bible because it makes me yearn more for God’s presence and teachings. It also strengthens my faith at lowest point,” she said. Her philosophy of life is, ‘Do good always and good will come back to you’. Though she is still a young lady, she has been able to learn some things from life. “Life has taught me to be strong and courageous on the battlefield of existence. Life has also taught me to believe in myself and strive to be successful without bringing someone else down. I have as well learned to have special hatred for lairs because they can't be trusted. “I can’t stand people that lie. It’s a big no for me. My close friends can attest to this. I hate liars," she emphasised.

(National Mirror Online)

No comments:

Post a Comment