BULK SMS

13 September, 2015

Flavia Pennetta Wins the U.S. Open Women's Final After Historic Match-Up Against Roberta Vinci

Flavia Pennetta was victorious in Saturday's all-Italian face-off in the U.S. Open Women's finals. Pennetta defeated Roberta Vinci at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York City. 
The match-up was an unexpected pairing, to say the least. Vinci defeated favorite Serena Williams in a major upset during the semi-finals, and Pennetta ousted No. 2 ranked Simona Halep. "It's a big surprise also for me," Pennetta said after the match. "This one for me is one of my favorite tournaments." "It's also nice to play against a friend of mine," she added. "I play good, no?" Vinci jokes. 
"We've known each other since we were really young. My first match against her was when I was 9-years-old," Pennetta added. "It is the way I'd like to say goodbye to tennis," she continued, to gasps from the audience. "I'm really happy! It's what all the players want to do, to go out with this big trophy going home. This one was my last match in the U.S. Open." I want to thank everyone who has supported me in my career!" Vinci shocked the tennis world when she bested Williams, who was bidding for a historic Grand Slam. 
Williams, 33, was on track to take her fourth consecutive Open and become the first woman since 1988 to win all four Majors in a calendar year.  Vinci was a 300-1 underdog to win on Friday, yet trumped her with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 win. Williams had only lost twice the entire year until the match. 

No comments:

Post a Comment